Complaints Procedure for Patients

Who Can Complain?

Anyone who has dealings with the surgery in any capacity may make a complaint. If you are unable to complain for yourself then a relative or close friend may complain for you. In this case, your written consent will normally be required.

Timescales for making a complaint

It is important you make your complaint as soon as possible after the date of the event that you wish to complain about. Letters of complaint should be received within twelve months of the event or within twelve months of you realising that you have something to complain about.  These time limits may be waived if there are good reasons why you did not complain earlier.  However, the longer the delay between the event and the complaint being made the more difficult it becomes to secure a satisfactory reply.

To Whom Do I Complain?

In the first instance complaints should ideally be in writing and addressed to Jo Sutton, Practice Business Manager, Medwyn Surgery, Reigate Road, Dorking, RH4 1SD.  Complaints can be submitted through our email address which is, by post or by the feedback form on our website Give surgery feedback - Medwyn Surgery.  Please ensure that your complaint is detailed so that we can investigate fully for you.

How long will it take?

Your complaint should be acknowledged within three working days. A full response will be sent within 10 working days. Many complaints will be resolved quickly and easily within a matter of days. However, if the complaint is more complex the process can take some weeks to sort out. If you have a complaint that takes a while to be resolved, you should be kept informed of its progress.

Advocacy Support for complaints

If you require assistance in raising a complaint, the Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service can provide free confidential and independent support. 

SILC by telephone:

Tel: 01483 458 111

SILC by email:

Alternatively, if you would prefer not to speak directly to the practice, you can contact:

Surrey Complaints Hub on

If you are still unhappy with your complaint response you can contact:

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO)

If you are still dissatisfied after the complaints procedure has been completed you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman to investigate your case.  The Ombudsman is completely independent of both the NHS and Government and their service is free.  As well as complaints about NHS services, the Ombudsman can investigate complaints about how the complaints procedure is working.   Complaints should usually be referred to the Ombudsman within 12 months.  You can contact the Ombudsman office:

PHSO by post:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

City Gate

Mosley Street


M2 3HQ

PHSO by telephone

Tel: 0345 015 4033

PHSO Website: