Complaints Procedure for Patients

Who Can Complain?

Anyone who has dealings with the surgery in any capacity may make a complaint. If you are unable to complain for yourself then a relative or close friend may complain for you. In this case, your written consent will normally be required.

Timescales for making a complaint

It is important you make your complaint as soon as possible after the date of the event that you wish to complain about. Letters of complaint should be received within six months of the event or within six months of you realising that you have something to complain about.  These time limits may be waived if there are good reasons why you did not complain earlier.  However, the longer the delay between the event and the complaint being made the more difficult it becomes to secure a satisfactory reply.

To Whom Do I Complain?

In the first instance complaints should be in writing and addressed to Mrs. J. Sutton, Practice Business Manager. Medwyn Surgery, Reigate Road, Dorking. RH4 1SD.

 How long will it take?

Your complaint should be acknowledged within two working days. A full response will be sent within 10 working days. Many complaints will be resolved quickly and easily within a matter of days. However, if the complaint is more complex the process can take some weeks to sort out. If you have a complaint that takes a while to be resolved, you should be kept informed of its progress.

 If patients have a comment or complaint about a GP or pharmacy that can’t be resolved locally with the Practice Manager, they should contact:

South East Complaints Hub

NHS Frimley ICB

Aldershot Centre for Health

Hospital Hill



GU11 1AY

Telephone:   0300 561 0290


Comments or complaints about any other local health service should be directed to the local Clinical Commissioning Group who will be able to help. Surrey Downs CCG:

Advocacy in Surrey can provide you with support to make a complaint. Tel: 0300 030 7333 or email:

Health Service Ombudsman

If you are still dissatisfied after the complaints procedure has been completed you can ask the Health Service Ombudsman to investigate your case.  The Ombudsman is completely independent of both the NHS and Government. As well as complaints about NHS services, the Ombudsman can investigate complaints about how the complaints procedure is working. You can contact the Ombudsman office at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman for England

11th Floor, Millbank Tower

Millbank, London. SW1P 4QP

Tel: 020 7217 4940